Rooibos Rocks brings you an easy, delicious
health bread recipe
This is a really easy and delicious Rooibos bread recipe. And because it’s yeast free, you can make it in less time than it would take to go to the store… plus it’s super healthy!
- 4 Rooibos tea bags
- 1 Cup water
- 1 Cup buttermilk or whole yogurt
- 1 Jumbo egg
- 3 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup whole oats
- 1 tbsp. cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup mixed seeds (sunflower seeds, linseeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, poppy seeds) whatever you prefer
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (to sprinkle on the top)
- 1/4 cup honey
- Grease a 9” x 5” x 3” loaf pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place a cup of freshly boiled water into a bowl and steep the Rooibos tea bags for 5 to 10 minutes to make a strong infusion. Remove the tea bags and set aside to cool.
- Add the buttermilk or yogurt to the egg then beat with a whisk or fork to mix. Add the Rooibos tea infusion.
- Place all the dry ingredients and seeds in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Pour in the honey and buttermilk Rooibos mixture. Fold in lightly with a large metal spoon until just combined (the same as you would do for a muffin mixture).
- Spoon the bread mixture into a prepared loaf pan and sprinkle the pumpkin seeds on top.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes.
This bread is fabulous topped with butter, your favorite jam or marmalade, cheese, ham.... The list is endless. Let us know your favorite topping!
One final thing: seeds (particularly sunflower seeds and linseeds) have a tendency to turn a dark green color when exposed to air and moisture, this doesn’t affect the taste at all. A great tip is to slice the bread, freeze it and take it out as required. That's if it lasts that long.....