Posted by Rooibos Rocks on
A Malva Pudding That Rocks (perfect for any party!)
Our Rockin’ Malva Pudding is guaranteed to hit the sweet spot – a traditional South African dessert given a fresh twist with an infusion of rich-tasting Rooibos.
And we have a serving suggestion for you: ideal for birthdays, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Independence Day, Valentine’s Day, Thanksgiving, Halloween, any Christmas festivity, New Year, Easter, Labor Day, International Women’s Day, World Environment Day and Friday through Thursday (inclusive).
Basically, you bake it and they will come, whatever the day!
- 2 cups self-raising flour (if using all-purpose flour add extra 1/2 tsp of baking soda)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 - 1 1/4 cups brown sugar (the browner the better, we used Muscovado)
- 1/2 cup lukewarm strong Rooibos tea (1 teabag - steeped for 5 mins)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tblsp smooth apricot jam
ROOIBOS CREAM SAUCE
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional - but better in than out!)
- 1/2 - 3/4 strong Rooibos Tea (1 teabag - steeped for 5 mins)
- 3 tblsp butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Mix all your Malva Pudding ingredients together (EXCEPT for the apricot jam) in a food processor or by hand
- Pour into a large buttered ovenproof dish and bake for 30 mins or until an inserted skewer comes out clean
- Pierce holes in the pudding with a fork or skewer
- Gently melt the apricot jam separately and brush generously over your Rooibos pudding
ROOIBOS CREAM SAUCE
- Gently heat all your ingredients for the sauce in a small saucepan until the sugar is dissolved
- Pour hot sauce over the pudding and allow to gently steep, or pour into a heat proof jug and let everyone help themselves
- Serve with custard, cream or ice-cream
Serves 6-8 (but it’s deliciously lekker so there won’t be any left!)
Note: The pudding can be made a day ahead and re-heated in a low oven.
Share this post
- Tags: Rooibos Recipe