Have you been looking for an insanely delicious and easy to make warm drink? Try this recipe to make your own Rooibos Apple Cider drink to sip on after meals or during your “me time”.
It’s a mixture of healthy ingredients such as ginger and cinnamon, as well as sweeteners, lemon and more. This drink is best served on cool days and evenings during family gatherings, picnics or other events like Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. You can enjoy this tasty drink as an alcoholic beverage or just a simple, sweet, tasty tea. Now, who doesn’t like the sound of that?
- 1 1/2 cups unfiltered apple juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 medium lemon, juiced (more for tart)
- 1 cinnamon stick (or sub 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon per 1 cinnamon stick)
- 5-6 slices fresh ginger (1/4-inch thick)
- 1 healthy pinch ground ginger
- 1 pinch each salt + pepper
- 2 Chai Rooibos tea bags
- 1 pinch ground cayenne (for spice/heat) (optional)
- 1 ounce bourbon (optional)
- 1-2 Tbsp sweetener (coconut sugar or maple syrup) (optional)
- Add apple juice, water, lemon, cinnamon stick, fresh ginger, ground ginger, and salt + pepper to a small saucepan and heat over medium high heat. Bring to a simmer, then turn off the heat and add Chai Rooibos tea bags. Steep for 10-12 minutes, still on the stove (heat turned off).
- Sample and adjust flavor as needed, adding cayenne and/or bourbon at this time. If you find it needs more sweetness, add coconut sugar or maple syrup (optional).
- Remove Rooibos tea bags and divide between two (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) serving glasses, with additional slices of lemon. Serve hot.
- Best when fresh, though leftovers will keep covered well in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker